Today we will talk about Model Portfolio: what is good portfolio, why it is so important and which mistakes models do in creating it.
There are hundreds of girls and boys who want to become a model but unfortunately not all of them realize how important to have good professional Portfolio. In such huge cities as New York it is quite difficult to be noticed because model agencies don't have enough time to look through all applications they get and check skills of all models who visit open calls. So you should IMPRESS them in a short period of time and show something special, something that will show not only your appearance but also your skills.
Poraloids or Snap shots are good but it is not enough to make a quick decision. You can have the best face ever but it doesn't mean that you are good in posing, that it is easy for you to change styles, that you feel confident during the shooting, that you have personal charisma and of course that you are good at catwalking. So this is the reason why nobody hurries up to write you back and sign you after seeing your Polaroids because there are dozens of the same files agencies get every day.
Open call - is also a good way to show yourself BUT sometimes it is useless because most of models feel shy and hide their charisma and ONE OF THE MOST BIG PROBLEM is that some models don't look bright in real life and only during the shooting photographers and agencies can see that model is a future star because camera loves her so much that each picture looks editorial (perfect example is Kate Moss, i met her several times on the street and in studio and i can surely say that it is 2 absolutely different people! In real life she is very usual, doesn't look like super model, quite short and i would say she looks unhealthy BUT if you see how she works in studio it is just pure magic and each photo with her is masterpiece)
So, PERFECT PORTFOLIO consist of:
- good photographer. Of course we all understand that quality of photos depends on photographer so please guys, don't choose professionals who work free or charge too low price. Photographer for your portfolio should be really great, yes i know that it takes time to find such person and i know that it cost quite much but REMEMBER that your Portfolio is your ONLY and BEST chance to show yourself and as long as you have good photos you will use them 1-2 years and i think it is great investment in your future! Photographer should have experience in working with models, photographer should feel you and see the best ways to present you.
- personal style. Guys you don't need to copy famous top models or copy advertising of fashion brands! Your Portfolio should show only YOUR BEST SIDES, YOUR SKILLS because you MUST remember that YOU ARE UNIQUE and nobody else in this world looks like you and this is your goal!
- minimum 4 different styles. The main aim of portfolio is to show your ability to pose for different styles of clothes, different kind of advertising and to prove that you can easily change. So minimum of what you should have in your portfolio:
BEAUTY (head shots will show your skin and shape of your face and it is important for brands which produce make up and all kind of cosmetic) ,
FASHION (will show your ability to pose for fashion catalogues and high fashion advertising),
GLAMOUR (or Hollywood style will show how you look in evening dresses and if you are good for commercial shooting),
SWIMSUIT (will show shape of your body and your ability to work for brand which produce lingeries and swimsuits)
- polaroids or snap shots
- video of your walking and your short interview (name, age, height, body dimensions)
YOU SHOULDN'T DO IF YOU WANT GOOD PORTFOLIO:
1. DON'T agree to shoot with any photographer who offers shooting. Guys, remember that it is your future career and check website and Instagram page of photographer before agree to shoot. Because it better to have couple of great photos in portfolio than 1000000 of awful.
2. DON'T take just couple of T-shirts and one jeans on shooting. I repeat it is YOUR FUTURE CAREER so please take as many different outfits as possible and then photographer and stylist will choose the best or just hire a stylist who will bring clothes from show rooms.
3. DON'T copy top models! Remember you are not Adriana Lima and trust me you don't need it! Be yourself and show your best because you are UNIQUE
I attach example of good portfolio! I was shooting amazing aspiring model Bianca Bush and would love to show her portfolio!
i hope this information was useful to you!